Thursday, May 28, 2009

Plasticity Lab: The Conclusion

In the experiment known as the Plasticity Lab, I have come to a conclusion. It was written that we were instructed to fill a large beaker half way with corn starch. Then, we would put a small amount of water into the beaker (warm or cold.Your choice). After the certain amount of water was added, the starch will start to become thick, but slightly chalky and yet a little bit watery. We would then take the metal spoon which was laying on the tray that was provided and mix the starch. We would continue to mix till the starch became thick. Then the experiment really began! When I stuck my hand in the beaker to examine, the starch was watery and dripped around my open hand. But when I clasped my hands and rubbed them together, in a way that I will roll a Play-doh glob longer, the starch became solid and was forming chunks in my hand! Curious, I opened my hand but was shocked to see that the "chunks" were still water! I was baffled and tried the experiment again and again. Still the same result. However, it came to reason that the starch became a solid when I applied pressure onto it and when the pressure was released it would return back to a liquid. Thus, concluding the class experiment and thinking of the other wonders our world could create.

No comments: